Agricultural commodities exported from Kern County include almonds, apricots, beans, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, citrus, cotton lint and planting seed, grapes, hay, honeydew, lettuce, nectarines, nursery stock, peaches, plums, rose plants and watermelon. These commodities are shipped to over 85 foreign countries, with the Asian rim receiving a majority of the exports.
As the fourth most productive agricultural county in California, Kern County relies on water, which is the lifeblood of the industry. Careful water management practices have been developed by both the agricultural and urban sectors, and Kern County farmers are among the most skillful water managers through the use of highly efficient irrigation methods. Laser land-leveling also helps to achieve uniform water distribution.
With national and worldwide demands for food and fiber increasing, the agricultural and water communities of Kern County continue to develop technologies designed to meet future needs and requirements.
The 2013 total value of agricultural commodities produced in Kern County is $6,769,855,590, which is an increase of 6% over the 2012 revised crop value.
The top five commodities for 2013 were Grapes, Almonds, Milk Citrus and Cattle & Calves.
The 2013 Kern County Crop Report can be found on the Department of Agriculture and Measurement Standards web-site:
Kern County Top 20 Crops 2013
1. Grapes, All $1,822,092,000
2. Almonds, Including By-Products $970,808,000
3. Milk, Marketing & Manufacturing $764,728,000
4. Citrus, Fresh & Processing $641,691,000
5. Cattle & Calves $408,897,000
6. Pistachios $338,189,000
7. Carrots, Fresh & Processing $335,088,000
8. Hay, Alfalfa $217,964,000
9. Cotton, Including Processed Cottonseed $146,537,000
10. Potatoes, Fresh & Processing $109,222,000
11. Pomegranates, Fresh & Processing $88,474,000
12. Cherries $80,228,000
13. Silage & Forage $68,521,000
14. Bell Peppers, Fresh & Processing $59,659,000
15. Apiary Products $57,755,000
16. Nursery, Fruit and Nut Trees & Vines $56,056,000
17.Tomatoes, Fresh & Processing $55,115,000
18. Eggs & Egg Products $52,055,000
19. Nursery, Roses $45,353,000
20. Onions, Fresh & Dehydrator $35,156,000
Total Gross Value: $6,769,855,590
Source: Kern County Dept. of Agriculture/Measurement Standards